Friday, December 9, 2016

Job plans and Topics overview

My plans at the beginning of the semester was to become a pilot in the United States Air Force. They have not changed since the beginning of the semester as I already have my pilot slot and the first base I will be going to. This leads to what I will be doing after this year, where this summer I will be moving to Vance Air Force Base in Oklahoma to start my training. These plans have not changed since I am still on track to becoming a pilot.

The most useful topic that we talked about was the pilot shortage. When researching the pilot shortage, I also found that the Air Force is also having a pilot shortage which is trending to become more of a problem later. I also found this to be important because I learned about how aggressively the airlines are hiring right now to fill this shortage, but it may not last forever. By the time I get out of the Air Force, they pilot shortage may have ended and then I will need to possibly think about where or what I am going to do for a career. It is hard to say if the industry will still be short on pilots, but as much as the airlines are hiring, there is a chance that they will fill this shortage in 12 years.

The topic that I felt was least useful was the airline being fair for the U.S. carriers or not. I felt this wasn't that important because of my career path. I also felt that it wasn't that important because the U.S. carriers are still doing decent in the market. If another airline is performing better, then they need to reassess their business strategy. Some of the airlines that they are complaining about are offering better services to set them apart, while they are looking into just trying to fly people from one place to another, at least in coach. They got set in their ways and just refuse the change that needs to be done. Even though I felt this one was one of the least important topics, I still thought that learning about the systems that went into helping other countries buy American products was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment